Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mexico Month - Toro Two Ways (and a Ceviche)






On the day of my 30th birthday, we went fishing.  I have never been ocean fishing, and it generally seemed like a good excursion.  Besides, the chance to catch - and, yes, kill - a fish or two to eat with my formerly vegetarian best friend was too good to pass up.  We spent a lot of time not catching anything, got really close to some humpback whales, then finally caught three Pacific Jack Crevalle, or Toro, as the Mexicans call it. I had never heard of this fish, but our guides assured us that it is delicious.


I should mention here that after returning from fishing, our guides beached our boat, but we did not leave the boat.  We stayed to drink and hang out for quite a while.  It's a trip hanging out on a boat that is not actually in water.  I am sure one of our guides, Victor, will not mind being featured on my blog.  He was clearly enjoying the relaxing time.


Back to cooking...

We had leftover - and uncooked - Mahi Mahi from the fajitas we made the night before, so first thing on the list was ceviche mixto.  This isn't exactly a recipe I can write out, especially since my job was to dice veggies, but generally one should dice equal parts fish, tomato, green bell pepper, and onion.  Place the fish in a bowl and squeeze some lime on top.  Let cook.  Add remaining ingredients along with some minced serrano (or jalapeno) peppers.  Enjoy.  








The ceviche was just an appetizer, and we still had lots of toro left.  We decided to cook it two ways; one a simple seasoning of salt and pepper sauteed in oil, the other dredged in flour and cooked in butter and garlic.








Overall, a perfect meal.


Bon appetit.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I walked by that particular spot on the beach, I picture us sitting in a beached boat getting drunk with Cesar! I can't believe you didn't mention my impressive skills at opening a beer with another bottle...that seems totally relevant.

    I thought the fish was best cooked with butter and garlic although that ceviche was quite yummy, too. Yay for Mexico month! Don't you think you need to come back again, strictly for research purposes?

    ReplyDelete