Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Meyer Lemon Curd



 

 

I wrote the following (and took the previous pictures) about a month ago, then never posted it. I think it is a perfect post for Valentine's Day because it involves two things I love - lemon desserts and visits from Santina. To make it a bit more current, here is a pic of the Valentine's Day manicure I gave myself.


On to cooking...

You may have noticed that I don't really do desserts. I think the only dishes I have posted that come close to dessert are pumpkin bread and sweet corn tomalito. Three things this evening came together that led me to make a dessert:


1.  I bought a bag of Meyer lemons earlier this week because I love them and they're in season. I did not have any plans for what I would do with them;


2.  I moved my cookbooks to a new place in my kitchen and came across one my parents got me ages ago, Luscious Lemon Desserts. Lemon desserts are my favorite, and the recipes within that book are sorely under-utilized; and


3.  Santina arrives at 10.30pm this evening, and I need something to do so that I don't pace restlessly around my house, checking the time every 30 seconds, not being able to stand the anticipation.


I perused the cookbook, knowing that I couldn't take on anything too complex or anything that required ingredients I do not have in my house. When I saw that I had everything for lemon curd, I was thrilled. And the fact that it looked relatively easy was a bonus.


1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks


1.  Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat.


2.  Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk in the yolks until smooth.


3.  Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it; do not allow the mixture to boil.


4.  Immediately pour the Lemon Curd through a strainer into a bowl. Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. (Lemon Curd keeps for a month in the refrigerator and for about 3 months in the freezer.)


I look forward to finding ways to use the lemon curd. It goes well on everything, even just a simple piece of toast. Or can you imagine how good it would be smeared on a sweet cream scone? Or a buttermilk biscuit? Mmm. There are also numerous recipes in the Luscious Lemon Desserts cookbook that call for lemon curd. Maybe I'll try another from there. I don't know. I don't know if we'll have enough time.


Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment