Tuesday, July 5, 2011

All-American Brats and Potato Salad









I didn't make this meal on July 4th, but I feel it is good post for the holiday.  I had even titled this weeks ago.  How fortuitous.


I am not a fan of american-style potato salad, but while perusing my Martha Stewart cookbooks one day many summers ago making menus for a trip to Nantucket, I came across a potato salad that sounded just to my liking: no egg, not a TON of mayo, and pickles.  And I was going to Nantucket.  I think that called for some potato salad and Martha.  


Now I am wishing I had this meal to eat today.


4 lbs (about 8) russet potatoes
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 cup mayo
1/2 tsp whole celery seeds
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 celery stalks, strings removed, cut into 1/4" dice
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" dice
10 cornichons (I use regular pickles), cut into 1/4" dice
2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp paprika


1. Put potatoes into large pot with enough water to cover by several inches.  Bring to boil over high heat, add 1 Tbsp salt, and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until tender with pierced with the tip of a knife, about 25 minutes.  Drain into colander.  Using gloves or a towel to protect your hands, peel potatoes and cut into 1" dice while hot.  Drizzle with vinegar.  Set aside.


2. Combine the mayo, celery seeds, mustard, 2 tsp salt, and black pepper in a bowl, and whisk to combine.  Add potatoes to mayo mixture.  Add celery, red pepper, pickles, and chopped parsley.  Stir to combine.  Chill for 30 minutes before serving.  Garnish with paprika.


Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment