Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ceviche Verde





I recently decided upon urging from some friends to be more active on Twitter.  Bon Appetit magazine tweeted a link to this recipe on my first active day, and I knew I had to make it.  Ceviche is delicious and easy, two things I look for in a weekday recipe.


1 pound fresh Pacific halibut
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
3/4 cup green olives, sliced (I omitted this)
1/2 cup tomatillos, diced
1/4 cup onion, very finely chopped (I omitted this)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Tostadas or torilla chips


Chop fish into 1/2" cubes; place in medium bowl. Add kosher salt; toss to coat. Add lime juice; toss to coat. Marinate until the edges of the cubes begin to turn opaque, tossing occasionally, about 30 minutes.



Dice avocados; add to bowl along with green olives, tomatillos, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño Add olive oil and season to taste with salt.


Serve over tostadas or with tortilla chips for dipping.


(I made a half recipe.)


My grandparents have been working on moving out of the house they have lived in for something like 30 or 35 years, and so they are giving away a lot of things that have accumulated.  When I was home visiting my family, I think it was for Christmas, they asked if I wanted some glasswear.  I am always up for things like that since most of my glasswear, plates, and other kitchen stuffs have come from Goodwill.  Within the two boxes of glasswear they gave me were some seriously excellent finds: a set of collins glasses that make my cocktails seem very classy, two Italian canisters that now hold my flour and sugar, and a set of champagne coupes (yes, I had to look up the name for this type of glass).  


The champagne coupe not only makes me feel like I am at one of Gatsby's parties when I drink champagne but is also excellent for serving small portions of anything from sorbet to, yes, ceviche.  I couldn't resist displaying my ceviche in one of them.  I ate one serving of ceviche out of that gorgeous glass, then devoured the rest straight from the equally as beautiful but much larger bowl.


Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment