Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chiles Rellenos, Tierra Vegetables Style








This is the first of the meals I made to accompany Jacquis Rich Beans.  I wanted to make a Mexican dish, but I didn't want to prepare something that would dominate the flavors on the plate.  I also didn't want to spend too much time cooking the meal, and most of the mexican entrees I like to prepare are pretty time and work intensive.


My mom gave me this chiles rellenos recipe after I complained to her one night about my attempt to make traditional fried chile rellenos.  On that particular night, the cheese oozed out the of the chiles during the frying AND I ended up burning one of the batches.  I love chiles rellenos, but I am just not a huge fan of frying things.  I am not very good at it, it takes a lot of oil, and it's not particularly healthy.  Mostly I'm not very good at it.  This recipe is perfect: no frying.  


Oh, and in these particular chiles rellenos, I threw a little bit of bacon in with the cheese stuffing.  I had to defrost the second to last package of the Abundant Life Farms bacon, and now that it's sitting in my fridge, I want to put it in everything.  And I cut the recipe in half.


8 chiles (anaheim or poblano), roasted, peeled, slit, and seeds removed
8 slices monterey jack, length and width of chiles
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 c. water
canola oil


Stuff each chile with a cheese slice and set aside.


In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, flour, water, and a little salt.  In a large bowl, using a balloon whisk, whisk the whites until they are stiff but not dry.  Fold the yolk mixture into the whites in three batches just until combined.  Take care not to deflate the whites.


Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly oil a 9-inch square pan.  Spoon half the batter onto the bottom of the dish.  Put the stuffed chiles on top of the batter and cover evenly with the remaining batter.  Bake until browned, about 25 minutes.


I usually make my own salsa to smother the chiles, but as mentioned previously, I wasn't in the mood to be in the kitchen for hours. I used some green salsa I had in the fridge.


Bon appetit.

1 comment:

  1. Once we're settled and I buy a few more kitchen items, I'm totally going to try this recipe (minus the bacon). Today while I was produce shopping with Ben, I saw some lovely peppers that would be perfect for chiles rellenos (shocking, I know) and I mentioned this post to him. His response? "Make them!"

    I should've left the deep fryer with you!

    Santina

    ReplyDelete