Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pan-Seared Wild King Salmon with Pickled Cucumbers






This is going to be a quick post because it is late, and I am tired.  Today was the Portland Trailblazers opening night, they played the Phoenix Suns, and they won.  It is stressful for me to have Blazer season starting AND the Giants in the World Series.  Obviously the Giants take priority, but I can't just ignore the Blazers.  Yes, I know, life is tough.


I made the salmon and pickled cucumbers last night.  It is a combination of two recipes, pan-seared wild king salmon with dill tartar sauce from the Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook and dill-marinated salmon and pickled cucumbers from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics.  I like the salmon from the former recipe and the picked cucumbers from the latter.  I have made this combination many times, and I love it.


(I am going to omit the parts of the recipes I don't use)


2 cucumbers, peeled
3 Tbsp rice-wine or red-wine vinegar
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt


1.  Slice cucumbers into very thin rounds.  Transfer to a bowl with vinegar, dill, the sugar and 3/4 tsp salt.  Toss to combine; set aside.


4 wild salmon fillets, 6 oz each and 1 inch thick, skin removed
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil


Salmon Rub:
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp lemon zest


1.  Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400F.


2.  For the rub, combine the sea salt, pepper, brown sugar, and lemon zest.  Sprinkle the rub over the top side of the salmon, then gently pat with your fingers to distribute evenly.  Heat the olive oil in a 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Place the salmon fillets in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.  Carefully turn over and cook for 2 minutes on the other side.


3.  Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the fish flakes easily with tested with a fork, about 6 minutes.  


4.  Place pickled cucumbers on a platter, top with salmon fillets, and serve.


Just as a note, you might notice that I often show portions of food that it would be somewhat absurd for me to eat by myself for dinner (e.g. the two salmon fillets shown in the cast iron skillet above).  I often cook more than I need so that I can bring leftovers to work for lunch.  Doesn't this look like a delicious lunch?


I it today for lunch, and it certainly was delicious.


Bon appetit.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...this sounds delicious, and I don't even like salmon! I want to make the pickled cucumbers, but I've looked for fresh dill recently and was unable to find some.

    That lunch looks like a huge step up from a can of soup, friend. :)

    Santina

    ReplyDelete