Monday, October 25, 2010

Rib Steak and Roasted Brussels Sprouts





A good steak and roasted Brussels sprouts may just be my favorite dinner.  I would not want to eat it every night, but once a month or so?  Perfection.  I don't think any of you will be surprised that I love a good steak, but brussels sprouts are one of those veggies that a lot of people don't like.  It wasn't so long ago that I was in that class of Brussels sprouts-haters.  Actually, I vividly remember gagging on one at a very fancy, very expensive restaurant in DC circa 2004.  Maybe I am just killing my taste buds as I get older, but there are a whole host of food items that I would not have willingly eaten before I was about 25 that I now if not love, at least like.  


The Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook definitely contributed to my love of Brussels sprouts.  They are crispy and salty and all-together delicious.


1.5 lbs Brussels sprouts
3 Tbsp good olive oil
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves.  Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Turn them out on a baking sheet (Erin's note:  I use a large cast iron skillet.  My baking sheets are crappy and warp in the oven, and I generally think a cast iron skillet does a better job for roasting veggies.) and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp outside and tender inside.  Shake the pan from time to time, to brown the Brussels sprouts evenly.  Sprinkle with more kosher salt (I like these salty like french fries) (Erin's note:  That is Ina Garten speaking, not me, but I whole-heartedly agree with the Contessa) and serve.


For the steak (6 Ranch beef, of course) I seasoned it with salt and pepper and grilled it on my ever trusty cast iron grill, about 4 minutes per side.


Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment